Sunday, May 31, 2009

One Stitch @ A Time

I've been interested in learning to knit ever since I saw this post on Silje's blog. I thought that owl sweater she made was just *too cute* and couldn't wait to get my hands on some yarn and start playing. School got in the way, though, so I put knitting on my list of things to learn this summer. Last week while I was shopping for paint brushes in Omer DeSerres I came across some pretty yarn on sale. I ooohed and awwwed and was about to walk away when it hit me: "it's summertime. I have free time on my hands. I can learn this now!" So I filled up my basket and went straight to the cash.

Luckily for me, my neighbour Karen is really really good at knitting and she was kind enough to help me get started and gave me a little knitting lesson. It was really hard for me to get the hang of it at first, but I think I'm finally mastering the whole idea. This afternoon it was FREEZING here and was the perfect day to spend nestled up inside, so I made a pot of Earl Gray tea, popped in a mix tape that my cousin made for me (thanks Tara!) and spent my afternoon knitting away. Look how much progress I've made on my scarf:

Ok, so obviously I have a long way to go & you experienced knitters would probably laugh at how slow I go (I'm so scared I'm going to make a mistake and have to undo the whole thing) but I'm really proud of myself. I know I'm far from being able to make a fancy schmancy sweater like Silje, but hey! If I just continue one stitch at a time this pretty scarf will be ready to wear by winter.
Happy Sunday y'all.
xOx

1 comment:

  1. Your knitting looks great to me. Don't be so worried about making mistakes though, because you WILL make mistakes. But those mistakes are how you learn how to knit. You'll be surprised at what you can make from just the knit and purl stitches. Those little owls on that sweater (which I also LOVE) are nothing more than knit and purl stitches combined and twisted with a cable needle. It sounds so difficult but I promise you it's not.

    Can I ask...are you a continental knitter (left handed) or an English knitter (right handed)? Sometimes English knitting is called the throw method. I'm a continental knitter and find it to be so much easier for me than the throwing method. So if you're friend knows both techniques, maybe you can ask her to show you them and then you can decide which you like best. (And later on if you decide to do intarsia knitting, it helps to be able to do both methods at the same time.)

    ReplyDelete