
Remember how I said one of the things I wanted to do during my 24th year was read 24 books? Well, one down and just 23 more to go! Today was cold and rainy here in Vancouver, so I opted to say home and ended up finishing Donald Miller's book, A Million Miles In A Thousand Years: What I Learned While Editing My Life.
My friend Jen brought me this book back in April when I was sick and ordered to go on a bed rest for a few days. It took me awhile to finish it (April and May have been pretty busy months for me) but I can honestly say it's one of the best books I've read in ages. If you're looking for an great read this summer that will challenge the way you look at life, then this is the book for you!
Donald Miller wrote the memoir Blue Like Jazz a few years ago, and it quickly became a New York Times Bestseller. The book was such a success, producers decided to turn it into a movie and contacted Miller to help them come up with a screenplay. A Million Miles In A Thousand Years is all about what Miller learns (about life, humanity and himself) as they "edit" his life to create a good screenplay for the movie. The book is written in a conversational style and is full of really wise insights and touching true anecdotes ... but essentially, the point Miller is trying to make is that life is one big story and it's up to us to make sure we're writing a good one. He doesn't tell you how to make your story a good one and he doesn't provide step-by-step directions for finding fulfillment in life ... but he does challenge readers to embrace the unknown, take chances and invest extra time & energy into creating lasting memories. It's an awesome read & I highly recommend you pick it up at your local library if you get a chance. The first few chapters are a little slow, but I promise it gets really really good as it progresses.
Next on my reading list ... 1984 by George Orwell (the author who wrote Animal Farm). My roomie Katie lent me this book and it doesn't really seem like my kind of story but she loved it so I'm gonna give it a go. I also lucked out and found The Time Traveler's Wife at a used bookstore for $10 so I'll be reading that this summer, too. And I've got two books on pre-order with Amazon ... Decision Points by George W. Bush and Cuba: A History by Sergio Guerra-Vilaboy ... strange combo, I know. Hopefully there will be lots of reading going on over the next few weeks!
So, tell me ... what book(s) are on your reading list this summer?
xox
Thanks for the report, i read a fair bit and am always on the look out for good books!!
ReplyDeleteI have read The Time Traveller's wife, it's actually in my library. It's very touching and sad. I think you'll like it.
ReplyDelete