Friday, June 4, 2010

magic ♥

Last night's performance of Madama Butterfly was asbolutely one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. The music, the set design, the plot, the costumes, the vocals ... sheer magic, all of it. I've been to operas before but this one was really the best I've ever seen. Because Madama Butterfly is one of the most famous operas in the world, the Vancouver Opera decided to give it a little twist in hopes of making it appeal to a wider audience. The lyrics and music and story were all the same, but rather than an elaborate stage set (think Broadway) they opted instead to hire Japanese architects to design a streamline, contemporary set. The result was AMAZING. The bright colors and the simplicity of it all were very inspiring. Here are a few photographs:



*sigh* I just love the opera. I love it because for hundreds and hundreds of years, people have been getting all dolled up in their Sunday best and going to the opera. There's something special in knowing that you're taking part in a ritual that has been part of society for hundreds of years. I love the opera because of all the different kinds of people it attracts ... the rich, who arrive in their designer ballgowns and limousines ... the starving art students who probably used their rent money to purchase their ticket ... the grandparents who are bringing their grandchildren in hopes of instilling a love and appreciation for the arts ... and the hopeless romantics, like me, who just love the idea of spending a night in a pretty dress listening to songs about star-crossed lovers.

All this to say ... if you get a chance to go to opera, do it. And if you live in the Vancouver area or can make it to Vancouver in the next few days, do yourself a favor and book a ticket to Madama Butterfly. You'll love it!

2 comments:

  1. It looks amazing!
    I'm so glad you had a good time. Have a wonderful weekend! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. It WAS amazing! Wish you could have been there to experience it with me! We still need to do a ballet date, ya know. I heard the San Fransisco Ballet is good. :)

    ReplyDelete