Day numero 2 of Shimelle's journaling class. I am LOVING the prompts and my notebook is quickly getting filled up with ideas and thoughts and scribbles. Today's prompt was about using letters and/or numbers as a starting point for journaling. One of the tasks we were given was to choose a topic (any topic!) and use the alphabet to "direct our thoughts into a longer piece of writing on one subject". I really loved this idea and decided to roll with it. I chose Vancouver (my city) as my topic, wrote all 27 letters of the alphabet down in my notebook and then wrote one word for each letter that somehow reminded me of Vancouver. I think I'll be using that journaling for a scrapbook layout called The Vancouver I Know & Love, from A to Z ... but, here on my blog, I'd like to share what I came up with for the numbers prompt. We were challenged to make a list of numbers that work to describe an event, a day, etc.

Photo taken at my 24th birthday dinner @ The Reef restaurant
24 years old.
4 great friends.
3 very thoughtful birthday presents.
2 banana cream pies (with candles!)
1 fabulous birthday.
That awesome photo of my birthday pies has been printed for months now, just sitting on my desk waiting to be scrapbooked. I haven't been able to do anything with it yet ... mostly because I couldn't figure out what aspect of my birthday to focus on in my journaling. Should I write about the people I celebrated with? The gifts they gave me? The fact that the dinner was a total surprise? All of the above? None of the above?
When I first finished jotting down numbers that were relevant to my birthday, I wasn't sure if I should add more to make the list longer .... 45 minutes waiting for our meals, 5 hilarious waiters, 33 dishes on the menu, etc? But, in the end, I like the simplicity of the journaling I came up with. It's simple, but it tells the story. What I'll remember most about my 24th birthday are the friends I spent it with, the banana cream pie and the sweet, unexpected gifts I got ... and I feel my journaling reflects those things.
*And I just noticed that my last prompt-related post was also about a birthday. Mmmmm ... maybe I see a theme developing here?*
xox

Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog.WOW coming up with something for all the letters of the alphabet is quite a feat.You would love Cathy Zielskes yearly class over at Big Picture classes.An A-Z of yourself.It was an amazing class.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful phoot to highlight your birthday celebration! That photo and your simple list really tell the story wonderfully!
ReplyDeleteI like the simplicity of it as well. Great post. Here's to many more birthdays!
ReplyDeleteI have no idea what banana cream pie is but it sounds great!
ReplyDeleteLove the photograph - isn't it amazing what memories are stirred by a picture of birthday candles? I think there is definitely more scope on the subject of birthdays (and it also links with prompt 3, after all they are repetitions!) :-) x