"After you've arrived [at the cheese counter] it can be a huge leap to actually decide on a particular cheese to buy."
So says Laura Werlin in her book, Cheese Essentials ... a book which has become essential to me in my quest of becoming a cheese connoisseur. (See this post if a "what the heck?!" look just popped up on your face). Now, I'll be honest. When I read that line, I stifled a little laugh. I mean, really. A huge leap to decide which cheese to buy? Is she serious? It's cheese shopping, people, not house hunting. Cheddar or swiss ... white or orange .... how complicated can it be? Answer: Complicated.
I braved the cheese section at Choices Market the other day. I didn't realize I was "braving" it until I walked over and was bombarded with an assortment of 60+ cheeses. I took a deep breath and jumped in, checking out the different labels and trying my best to look like I knew what I was doing. I knew I was nowhere near ready to venture into a gourmet cheese shop but, in my naivety, I assumed that having read 100 pages in my guide book, I was prepared to face the cheese aisle of a grocery store head on. It's one thing to read about cheese in a book ... it's another thing to have it sitting there in front of you with a lofty price tag. (Side note: Who knew cheese was so flippin' expensive?! Call me crazy, but I consider $29.95 for cheese a major investment and not something to be taken lightly!! Turns out cheese shopping is like house hunting after all ...)
In the end, I settled for Havarti because 1) I just finished the chapter on fresh cheeses and Havarti is a fresh, semi-soft cheese and 2) it was the cheapest option.
One cheese down, hundreds more to go. Take that, cheese aisle.
xo
PS - If you've got any good recipes using Havarti, send 'em my way!
Love this story about your cheese shopping expedition. Isn't it amazing that somehow we don't notice all the varieties of something until we really start paying attention to that one particular thing?
ReplyDeletethat is so fun and funny! Thank for sharing, and I knew there were lots of Cheese options after going to a winery this last summer, but never imagined them to be so pricy! WOW! That is crazy! Thanks again for sharing! YOur fun personality comes through in your writing! I would love to go have cheese or coffee or anything with ya in person! Your a sweetie!
ReplyDeleteJewels, when I come visit California I will give you a call! Coffee with you and your adorable kiddos would be so much fun. xo
ReplyDeleteHoly Dyna, that is some expensive cheese!!! I bet it tastes heavenly though right??
ReplyDeleteI adore Havarti...well really any kind of cheese...it is a problem.
ReplyDelete