Monday, February 7, 2011

thoughts on pride

Prompt # 9 was to write about something you've done in the past few days that you're proud of. I'm almost ashamed to admit this but .... I've got nothing. Nada. I've been sitting here reflecting on the past few days and nothing springs to mind. It's not that I've got writer's block ... it's that I honestly, truly cannot think of anything I've done recently that I'm proud of.

I guess I could blame it on the fact that the past few weeks have been pretty uneventful. With a few exceptions, my days have recently consisted of getting up, going to work, coming home, making dinner, doing housework and going to bed. Maybe I'm crazy, but when I think of things to be proud of I tend to lean toward life-changing decisions and moments of bravery ... not washing my dishes after a meal and getting into bed at a decent time. When people ask me what I'm proud of in my life, I tend to think of items crossed off my Bucket List not items crossed off my weekly "to do" list. Lesson - it's hard to take pride in the mundane tasks of life.

So that's my goal from here on out ... to take the time to be proud of the little things. To congratulate myself for being responsible and buying the plain bagels that were on sale instead of the delicious-looking cinnamon raisin bagels that were three times the price. To give myself a pat on the back for only hitting the snooze button twice this morning instead of my usual four. To feel satisfied at the end of my work day when all the necessary emails have been sent and all the urgent phone calls have been made.

Pride in the little things. That's what I'm working on.
xo

1 comment:

  1. I sent in the papers and money to start my own LLC! Scary, but I'm proud I got up the courage ;)

    ReplyDelete