I have a serious question for all my blogging buddies (aka you!) and I'd really appreciate some imput on this.
I'm facing a bit of a blogging dilemma. When I started blogging almost 5 years ago, I really didn't think give much thought to the whole idea of online privacy. This blog was (and continues to be) public for all to view and read. I've tried my best to keep my blog a place where I'm honest about all aspects of my life and, in doing so, I've shared some of my innermost thoughts and prayer requests - not to mention photos and TONS of information about my life.
I never worried about it because, well, I'm not ashamed of who I am or the life I lead. We've all heard the stories of employees who get fired for something they've posted online but I don't feel there's really anything on my blog that can be used "against" me ... so no big deal, right?
But now I'm married. Married to a guy who works in the internet industry and feels more strongly than I do about the importance of keeping things private. He knows about this blog (hi honey!) and he's okay with me writing it ... but I want to respect his privacy and comfort level. As we eventually grow our little family, I definitely want to make sure to keep my kids safe from all the creepy people out there. And, last but not least, I want to share this exciting chapter of my life with people but I don't want our newlywed life to be on public display for all to read about. You never know who is really reading a blog and, frankly, there are some people out there that I just don't want reading ANYTHING about my marriage and my relationship with my husband.
So my question is this: how do you find balance? How do you write blog posts that are honest and open, but still protect your family's privacy? How do you maintain authenticity AND security? What is okay to post and what crosses the line into the "too much information" category?
Please, please, please share your thoughts with me as I'm really struggling with this!
xo
These are great questions & concerns. While my blog is "public", it is not "searchable". Most people find my blog through online class I've taken or through other bloggers with similar interests. I also try to be very authentic in my blogging, but also protective of our privacy and safety. I don't announce ahead of time when we will be traveling, but I enjoy sharing the stories & photos from our travels when we return.
ReplyDeleteI think the most important thing is to find the place where you are both comfortable!