I've said it before and I'll say it again - one of the most exciting parts of living on my own, away from home for the first time, is getting to create my own space and do my own thing. I love my family to bits and I sure do miss the creature comforts of my childhood home sometimes ... but, really, there is such freedom in getting to make my own decisions. Some of these decisions are important ones and take a lot of serious contemplating ... for example, do I buy or do I rent? Do I live in this neighborhood or that one? Do I sign a lease, or do I insist on month-to-month?
Other decisions, though, are much more fun and with the holidays right around the corner, I'm getting to make LOTS of fun decisions. In my family, we put our Christmas tree up every year on December the 1st - regardless of what day of the week that falls on. I'm the kind of girl who likes to ride the Christmas train as long as she possibly can, so I knew that this was a tradition I was going to carry with me into my new place. My tree's going up on the 1st and I have a whole group of friends coming over to drink eggnog and help me hang ornaments.
My mom sent me a box in the mail of some of my favorite Christmas ornaments from my childhood, but there aren't enough there to decorate an entire tree. So, tonight, I went ornament shopping. This one store had a whole floor devoted to Christmas goodies and they had a bunch of trees showcasing the ornaments and decorations available. Each tree was done up in a different theme and I decided right then and there that I wanted my tree to have a theme too. And I knew exactly what the theme was going to be - Christmas in the City.
Think lots of pink, purple, silver and gold. Think lots of bling. Think ornaments with skylines and city landmarks (Eiffle tower, Empire State Building, Big Ben, etc) Think teeny tiny shopping bags and shoes and sparkles and bling ... did I already mention bling?
I left with my arms full and I am *SO* excited for the party on the 1st.
I ♥ Christmas. I ♥ City Life.
It's the perfect theme for my tree this year.
xox
Oh Stephanie, how much fun you are going to have setting up your first tree. I'm so glad you are having friends over and making it a true celebration. We collect Christmas ornaments when we travel. I always mark the date on them when we return home, and each year it is a trip down memory lane when we decorate the tree. We stop and reminisce about each one. I can't wait to add the new ones we picked up this year. We put our tree up the day after Thanksgiving. Looking forward to seeing some photos of your Christmas in the City tree!
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of a themed tree. It sounds beautiful and I can't wait to see close up pictures of what it looks like (and your new and old ornaments)!
ReplyDeletePS, Sent you an e-mail about two weeks ago... did you receive it? XOX
Ummm...why is it that your tree theme doesn’t surprise me!?! Teeny tiny shopping bags,shoes and bling...oh my!
ReplyDeleteHope we get to see the finished product from what I hope will be fun evening at your place.
Pressures on Steph to deliver a cool tree! ;)