Many of you may recognize that line as a quote from one of my all-time favorite movies, Casablanca. For those of you who have been living under a rock have not seen the movie, the quote is made by Humphrey Bogart in a toast to the love of his life, Ingrid Bergman. Because I'm such a nerd, I actually did a little research and found out that the line (which is now one of the most famous movie lines of all time) actually wasn't written in the original screenplay. According to information collected by The Australian Broadcasting Corporation, Bogart actually made the "here's looking at you, kid" comment as he was teaching Bergman to play poker off-set. Directors loved it so much they incorporated it into the movie.
As for me, I love this quote for so many reasons. I love it because it's sweet and affectionate without being over-the-top mushy. I love it because it's something I would say. I tend to call everyone "kid" regardless of their age. "I love that kid!" .... "I can't believe that kid!" ..... "Listen, kid ..."
I love it because my Dad isn't one to use terms of endearment (he's never called us "sweetheart" or "honey") ... but he does call us "kid". All my life, no matter how many birthdays I celebrate, I have always been and likely always will be referred to as "the little kid" by my Daddy.
I wish I had some heartwarming, fascinating story as to how this movie quote became the title of my blog, but I don't. I needed a blog name, I liked the quote and next thing I knew I was typing it in. I know it's not the most original blog name in the world & I've thought of changing it a few times but I can never bring myself to do it. This ol' blog just wouldn't be the same without my favorite movie quote up there.
So now I'm curious - what's the story behind YOUR blog name? If you're not playing along with the 30 day challenge, I'd love for you to spill the beans in the comment section below. Come'on, inquiring minds wanna know! :)
xox
I think your blog name is a perfect fit for your new independent life this past year and definitely would not recommend changing it. I didn't put a lot of thought into my blog name, just knew I was going to write about little bits and pieces of my daily life, thus the name Daily Life - Bits & Pieces. I may change it in the future, but for now it'll do.
ReplyDeleteI love Casablanca. You picked a good blog name, I like it a lot. :)
ReplyDeleteI also think the name of your blog suits you! My blog is just a play of words related to my name... I am called all kinds of things, I graduated from university with a girl named Cinnamon and we ended up working on the same nursing unit. When we walked onto the unit, people would say "here come the spice girls". Also, I happen to sell Epicure spices, although I have never mentioned this on my blog, (and I enjoy cooking). :)
ReplyDelete