I have this far-fetched dream of one day being a domestic diva. I am, admittedly, a Martha Stewart wannabe. Truly, I am.
I want to be one of those women with a kitchen that looks like it belongs on the pages of Southern Living magazine and I want to possess the ability to put that kitchen to good use. I want to be one of those mothers who sends her kids off to school with picture perfect homemade lunches in cute little brown bags. I want my husband to think my cooking is the greatest thing to ever hit planet earth and I want to be that lady in the neighborhood who always seems to have something delicious cooking. Being domestic is just sooooo much fun - I mean, cute polka dot aprons and pink KitchenAid blenders and fancy cookbooks with glossy pages? Bring it, I say.
Unfortunately, as much as I may love the kitchen, our relationship is rocky to say the least. We have a turbulent affair, cooking and me. Occasionally I manage to whip up some fantastic edible masterpiece but most of the time the result is a culinary disaster. Like this one time when I tried to bake oatmeal cookies and the dough completely disintegrated into thin air. Yeah. DISASTER.
I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that I may be better at making dinner reservations than I am at making actual dinner. As much as it pains me to admit this, I'm beginning to accept the sad reality that my children will likely have good old fashioned peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in their lunch boxes and not leftover moussaka from the gourmet family feast cooked entirely from scratch by yours truly the night before.
It's moments like these, when my poor heart is breaking over the fact that I will never be the next Food Network star, that I find myself most grateful to live in the city. *happy sigh* Ah, the city - land of a million restaurants. The city - where culinary delights of all kinds are right at your finger tips. The city - where one night you're eating authentic Thai, the next authentic Indian, the next Kraft Dinner (just keeping it real, folks). When you're a hardcore foodie whose homemade food repertoire consists of cupcakes and little else, living in the city is a wonderful good thing.
Vancouver, I love you. That's all.
xo
Vancouver, I love you. That's all.
xo
No comments:
Post a Comment