The past 6 months have been difficult months for me - emotionally, physically and spiritually. I met with my pastor last week to talk about all the things I have been going through, and he asked why I hadn't approached him earlier.
"I wasn't ready to talk about it ... I was a total basket case. I needed to get myself together first," I told him. He just hugged me and said:
"Stephanie, it's OK to be broken. It's OK to come to church as a total basket case. That's what church is for."
God bless my sweet pastor.
Since that conversation, I've had the song Perfect People by Natalie Grant on repeat on my iPod. Its lyrics are so true for me at this point in my life, and the message is so clear. I'm not perfect and I will never be perfect. But God is perfect ... and God loves me.
Here are the lyrics ~
Never let them see you when you're breaking
Never let them see you when you fall
That's how we live ... that's how we try
Tell the world we've got it all together
Never let them see what's underneath
Cover it up with a crooked smile
... but it only lasts for a little while
There's no such thing as perfect people
There's no such thing as a perfect life
So come as you are
Broken and scarred
Lift up your heart and be amazed and be changed
By a perfect God
Suddenly it's like the weight is lifted
When you hear the words that you are loved
He knows where you are ...
and where you've been ...
And you never have to go there again
There's no such thing as perfect people
There's no such thing as a perfect life
So come as you are
Broken and scarred
Lift up your heart and be amazed and be changed
By a perfect God
A perfect God ...
who lived and died and gave new life
To heal our imperfections
So look up and see out
Let grace be enough
And be changed by a perfect God
oooohhh ... be changed by our perfect God
You can listen to the song here. Caution, though - it's really catchy. You might have it stuck in your head all day. And if you, like me, are struggling with accepting your imperfects and need extra encouragement, listen to this song by the wonderful Francesca Battiselli. It's also a great "pick me up" and powerful reminder that we don't have to be perfect to be loved.
"But He said to me: My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."
- 2 Corinthians 12:9
BIG hugs Steph! You are a beautiful person!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this song, I needed to hear it :)
thanks... that's all i have to say... thanks...
ReplyDeleteKiki,xox
It sounds like you and I have been going through similar things in life. I have recently came to a great realization about myself and my perfectionistic ways. I plan to write all about it over the next couple blog posts.
ReplyDeleteBlessings my sister in Christ. I will be praying for you.
thanks for sharing that song! :) i've felt the same way these past couple of months, but things are looking much much brighter!
ReplyDeletehave a great day, girl!
hugs,
sarah.
Hope you feel better. Big hugs, Mel
ReplyDelete