"And whatever you do, whether word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him!" {Colossians 3:17}
When I worked at the coffee shop, I had a co-worker named Angelica who had just moved to Canada from Romania. She spoke very little French and even less English. Nonetheless, she caught on to our language pretty quickly. Sometimes, though, she would make little mistakes in the expressions. For example - instead of saying "thank God!" she would say "thanks God!". It always made me smile.
Do you notice the difference between the two? The first one is a statement about what we should be doing. "Thank God I got through the day. Thank God for all the blessings in my life. Thank God that I got to the bus stop on time." The second is an active statement of thanks. "Thanks, God, for getting me through today. Thanks, God, for all the blessings in my life. Thanks, God, for getting me to the bus stop on time."
Lately I've been thinking that maybe Angelica's take on the expression was more accurate than our traditional one. Maybe we should be saying "thanks, God!" a little more and "thank God" a little less. Let's not waste time stating what we should do ... let's just do it!
Happy Thanksgiving!
xox
You know what? You've got a point! Thank you for posting that!
ReplyDeleteHappy Thanksgiving. I hope it was a good one. Question: What are you thankful for? And I'm so curious to find out what your news is.
ReplyDeletehey Tara! I'm thankful for ~ a God who loves me, a Savior who died for me, a great church and a loving pastor, an awesome family, wonderful friends, getting to live in such a beautiful & free country, the men and women who defend that freedom, my professors at school who encourage and motivate me every day in class and so many other things too! I'm just thankful for everything. :o)
ReplyDelete