I recently read that quote on a blog and it really struck a chord with me. From the 1st of December until the moment I fly back to Montreal on the 23rd, my schedule and calendar are just booked solid with dinner and coffee dates, parties and meetings and last minute Christmas preparations. Christmas has always been a busy time of year for me, but this year it's just INSANE how many things I have going on. Take this week, for example - Monday was the last women's Bible study before Christmas, Tuesday a group of us girls had a Christmas cookie baking party at Jen's, Wednesday another group of us went shopping for Christmas presents for the families in need our church is sponsoring, Thursday I had a dinner date with some friends and Friday a group of us went to the Vancouver Christmas Market downtown. When I woke up this morning and thought about all the things I still have left to do, I knew I was going to have to pick and choose. As much as I want to do everything and see everyone and take it all in, you can only run for so long before your body demands a well-deserved break. So, tonight, I chose to skip out on a Christmas party and instead stay home in my jammies, sipping tea and honey and listening to Christmas carols on the radio. I'm also thinking about all the random things that have me rejoicing these days ...
- I am rejoicing in the fact that I had friends over for dinner last weekend and walked into my kitchen after we'd eaten to see Alan washing my dishes for me. He washed each and every one. If you know me well enough to know how neurotic I've become about dishes being washed immediately following a meal, you will understand why this simple act meant so much to me.
- I am rejoicing in the fact that I have such a generous, kind-hearted boss who finds great joy in showering his employees with words and acts of gratitude. I received my Christmas bonus last week. It's vulgar to talk about money (or so I've been told) so I won't go into great detail ... but let's just say, my Christmas bonus has essentially paid for my entire trip to Hawaii.
- I am rejoicing in the fact that I have found such a wonderful friend in Xinxin. Nobody can replace my friends from Montreal and the bond I share with them, but after living in Vancouver for almost a full year it is so wonderful to have a west coast bestie too. Yesterday we were on the bus and somehow we got on the topic of marriage and weddings. She asked if she'd be a bridesmaid at my wedding. I answered "of course, absolutely!" ... and I meant it. I know those kind of friendships aren't easily formed, and I am so grateful that I've found such a great friend so soon.
So if you, like me, have been rushing around frantically trying to get everything checked off your holiday to-do list, I encourage you to take an hour or two this weekend for some quiet time of reflecting. No matter how hard life is, you can always find a thing or two worth rejoicing if you just take the time to ponder it. :)
love + holiday hugs, Stephanie
I am so glad you took time out for yourself and enjoyed a relaxing evening. We've been busy lately too, but it's all been very well-paced and we had a day at home puttering around most of today. I enjoyed reading your reflections this evening. (And I'm dying to know if your Merry Christmas sign is the same one as mine!! How fun.) Congrats on a great bonus.
ReplyDeleteIm glad that you took the time to yourself!! at this time of year there can be too much going on and its all about balance, which isnt always the easiest. I hope you have an amazing festive season!!
ReplyDeleteAmen! This is a great post Steph, things really do get out of hand around this time of the year. I plan on watching holiday movies in my jammies and eating more candy cane kisses (addiction I know) for the rest of the day. BTW could you send Alan to my house I've got a full sink of dishes waiting for me! ;)
ReplyDeleteGood for you for taking a little time to slow the pace. Having a packed schedule is a good thing, but it's essential to remember to take time for you, too.
ReplyDeleteCongrats, sweetie, on a great bonus -- it's wonderful that your trip to Hawaii is paid for. What a great relief! You've earned it. XOX
Steph you have to check this site out - it's right up your alley!
ReplyDeletehttp://bakedbymelissa.com/