My friend Meaghan has a fireplace in her bedroom. This makes me ridiculously jealous because I LOVE fireplaces and to have a fireplace in the bedroom of all places would just be a home decor dream come true for me! The real kicker, though, is that her fireplace has a mantle and on the mantle she has, among other things, a large framed black and white photograph of Miss Audrey Hepburn taken during the filming of the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's. *Oh, be still my heart.*
I've been daydreaming about my own fireplace mantle - which, mark my words, I will someday have even if I have to buy one of those "fake" fireplaces from Home Depot - ever since and trying to decide which black and white photo I'd embellish it with. Today I was browsing through blogs and stumbled across a post by Roxy on photographs taken from the New York Times (see here). One thing led to another and I soon found myself on the New York Times Store website where you can actually buy "exhibition-quality" prints of photos that have appeared in the newspaper throughout the years. Being the proud New Yorker at heart that I am, I immediately fell in love with several of the shots especially the one of the Brooklyn Bridge at night, taken in 1971 by John Soto (here). Unfortunately, the print sells for $199.00 and that is just WAY out of my budget.
Luckily, I've taken some pretty great shots of New York over the years and London Drugs will blow up a photo for less than $20. I'm leaning towards having this one blown up to 11 x 14" and putting in a simple white frame -

It won't grace a fireplace mantle anytime soon (boo!) but I'm sure I can find a temporary home for it in my living room. Maybe I'll even pick a few favorite travel photos and make a cluster of photos, like this -

Photo Credit - Mekorah.com
I could put the taxi photo in the middle and then four smaller photos from other cities I've visited on either side. Don't ya just love it when you find creative ways to get the decor look you want at more than half the price?!?
If you're looking for creative, inexpensive ways to showcase your photos, I found this post really inspiring! Photos are such a great way to decorate a place and make it "yours" without dropping a small fortune and if you happen to change your mind a lot (as I do) you can just print out new photos for a whole new look! Love it.
Seriously that photo of the taxi's is AWESOME! And it really does look like that all the time. I love the ideas you are coming up with. I love fireplaces and wish I could have one in the bedroom but for now I am happy with the one in my basement! :D
ReplyDeleteI really like the taxi photo. We have an entire wall of celebrity photos, all of them autographed and some of them personalized to us. So, be careful, something like those five photos could morph into a huge display years from now, requiring a bigger mantle and firplace! :>)
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! You havee have have to blow up that picture! I adore it. I'll be sharing pictures on Monday for my usual photography post (featuring cabbies!) that you would love!!! Fab photog skills by the way ;) Happy Weekend Steph!
ReplyDeletethere's nothing i value more than the photographs i've accumulated throughout the years. they make a home, no doubt. love the taxi cab photo--can't wait to see a picture of your finished product!
ReplyDelete