... without my beloved grande, non-fat, no-whip white chocolate mocha from Starbucks! I don't usually give anything up for Lent. I am definitely NOT a believer in asceticism (aka rigorous self-denial and self-imposed suffering) and I actually think that kind of approach tends to lead us away from God's grace rather than pull us toward Him so it's a philosophy I try to steer clear of altogether. For the past few weeks, though, I've felt a little nudging in my heart telling me it *might* be a good idea to let go of something for Lent this year. And not just anything. Something very, very, precious to me .... Starbucks.
*excuse me while I bawl my eyes out and take a moment to compose myself*
OK. Here's the thing. As crazy as it sounds, Starbucks is a big part of my everyday life. It's where I grab lattes before work. It's where I meet up with friends for girl talk and impromptu counseling sessions. It's where I go when I need "down time" or when I need "quiet time" or when I need "me time" or any time, really. All this time I spend at Starbucks isn't necessarily a bad thing - I mean, there are FAR worse things I could be doing - but it does add up. Those $5.85 lattes add up financially and the calories add up health-wise. And all that time. *sigh* The time subtracts from time I could be spent doing other, way more important, way more meaningful, way more productive things.
Lately, I've been thinking about what would life look like if ...
- I took my time getting ready and had a nice, quiet Bible devotional each morning instead of rushing out the door to make sure I catch the earlier bus so I can swing by Starbucks before work?
- I baked pastries at home, from scratch, and ate them at my kitchen table in the morning while staring out at the mountains instead of grabbing them at Starbucks and eating them on the go?
- I invited my girlfriends over for a cozy, homemade brunch at my place instead of just arranging to meet up at Starbucks?
- I could have more honest heart-to-heart's with my friends over coffee without having to worry about eavesdropping strangers?
- I donated the money in my monthly Starbucks fund to a worthy charity?
What if Starbucks went back to being an occasional, once-in-a-blue-moon, "special" thing instead of an everyday thing?
So, for the first time in pretty much forever, I am giving up something for Lent. And, if I'm being honest, it's not really about the Starbucks. It's about being more intentional in my relationships, being wiser with my finances, being more health-conscious and slowing things down a little. It's about simplifying life, at least for a little while.
Have any of you ever given up anything temporarily? Was it easy for you, or did you count down the days until you could do it/eat it/drink it again?
-xoxo-
I have given up coffee in the past, the longest being 3 months... Strangely I actually felt like I had more energy after about 1 week :) the thing is though I love coffee so much, I love making a pot in the morning on the weekends, kicking back and reading the paper or perusing the net... But I could give it up if I absolutely had to. good luck with Lent! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so proud of you for giving up something that is such an integral part of your life. I definitely recommend the nice quiet devotional each morning to start the day! My days are so much better when I don't rush and forget that vital time. I've given up Coca-Cola before (just to prove to myself that I could) and went 40+ days. It was fairly easy because I made my mind up about it ahead of time and really wanted to try it. Saying a prayer for a peaceful and intentional 40 days for you!
ReplyDeleteawww, thanks for the support ladies! I'll be sure to keep you updated on how it goes. I'm sure gonna miss my morning lattes :(
ReplyDelete