Saturday, August 7, 2010

currently.

Currently, right at this very moment, I am having a "me" day. I woke up this morning and it was pouring rain outside, so I decided to make myself a tea, plop myself down in the living room and spend the day reading, journaling and maybe watching a movie. So far, it's been glorious. I have my living room window wide open and can hear the traffic outside on the street splashing through the rain ... I honestly think that's one of my favorite sounds, ever.

What else am I up to currently?

Well, I'm currently reading the novel On Beauty by Zadie Smith. I've been wanting to read this book for awhile but never got around to picking it up at Chapters. When my mom was out here for a visit, she surprised me with a copy. Thanks Momma! It's really a wonderful read. It's about two feuding African-American families - the Belseys (liberal, atheist, dealing with the aftermath of Howard Belsey's affair with another woman) and the Kipps (ultra-conservative, very religious, desperate to maintain their image as a picture perfect family no matter what the cost). When one of the Belsey sons falls for one of the Kipps girls, the two families find themselves trying to establish common ground and, in doing so, begin to question their own beliefs, positions and attitudes. It's a book about class, race, gender and religion. Fascinating, right? I think so!

I'm currently listening to the band Hey Ocean! on repeat on my iPod. My friends Jen and Roland heard them perform at the Vancouver Jazz Festival, bought their CD, lent it to me and have made me a huge fan. They're so fantastic and I love love love that they're an independent, local band. Their songs often reference streets and landmarks in my neighborhood, and that just makes me smile. Their sound is a little bit whimsical folksy ... a little bit rock and roll. Think Norah Jones meets Amy Winehouse. I really like all their songs, but I think my favorites are Fish (listen here) and their acoustic version of The Beatboxer Who Broke My Heart (listen here).

I'm currently on the hunt for the perfect bookcase. My books are starting to overflow and are piled up by my bed, my dresser, in the living room ... pretty much everywhere. It's time to get a proper bookcase for them. Fingers crossed that I'm able to find one that's affordable and stylish!

What are you guys up to at the moment?
xox

1 comment: